Kemptown Carnival 2013 Launches at Concorde2
Kemptown Carnival 2013, which takes over the heart of Kemptown village on the 1st of June 2013 and marks the closing of Brighton Festival Fringe and the start of Brighton summer, will launch this year in a glittering extravaganza of exotic rhythm and music. The Kemptown Carnival official launch party will be held at the Concorde 2 on Saturday 9th of February and will be the first major fund raising event for Kemptown Carnival in an action-packed Spring.
Festival director, Mat Cook, of Cook the Rabbit Events states “This year’s Carnival will once again have something for everybody….street theatre, break dancing, the grand custard pie fight, belly dancers, 4 stages with a diverse range of over 26 of Brighton’s finest live bands and performers, Samba bands, Tea dancing and Lindy-hop performances, magicians, children’s entertainment, dance displays, live graffiti art, creative workshops, tug’o’war, Morris Dancers, fine ales and ciders, barn dancing, Arts, Crafts and other great market stalls, wonderful foods and the annual Parade of Flowers! It’s going to be a stellar year.”
More details will be announced at the launch party which draws upon both the spirit of Carnival and Brighton’s phenomenal music scene with 5 amazing acts:
- Carnival Collective, a thoroughly 21st Century big band which brings together swing, funk, Latin, jungle and live drum’n’bass in an irresistable explosion of sound
- Harking back to the big band sound of 1960s Latin America via the back streets of New Orleans, the infectious, maverick and irresistibly swinging street music of VOODOO LOVE ORCHESTRA
- Maracatu Cruzeiro do Sul is a Brighton based drumming, singing and dancing group who perform traditional styles of music from the North East of Brazil.
- Legendary Funk, Jazz and Latin DJ Russ Dewbury
- Brighton School of Samba, bringing the authentic sound of Carnival time from the streets to the club.
Kemptown Carnival, is one of Brighton’s longest running and largest community street festivals. In 2012 the Carnival attracted over 20,000 visitors and this year is set to be its biggest and most exciting yet. Funded by local sponsors and the community itself, reliant upon teams of dedicated volunteers, Kemptown Carnival is a true community event – as diverse and colourful as Kemptown itself. Its programme of fund raising events will be widely varied, but all exciting and fresh. The full fund raising programme will be announced at the launch party and will also be on the Kemptown Carnival’s brand new website!
Tickets are £7 on the door or only £5.50 when purchased at Adaptatrap Percussion, Trafalgar Street (limited amount).